Sushi lovers are in for a treat when visiting Cape Town, South Africa. Not only are there a wide range of world class sushi restaurants and deli’s, Cape Town has some of the worlds best scenery, views and has been voted the best city in the world on numerous occasions.
1) Harbour House – V&A Waterfront For a great location, legendary sushi platters and friendly staff, Harbour house is a stunning seaside restaurant based at V&A Waterfront. Fine dining in such a gorgeous settings earned them the 2015 Certificate of Excellence by Tripadvisor. The glass walls surrounding the restaurant enables you to enjoy the lively atmosphere of the Waterfront and appreciate the perfect backdrop of Cape Town Harbour. There is also a stunning Harbour House restaurant in Kalk Bay.
2) Andy’s Sushi Bar – Sea Point This Asian-inspired eatery serves top quality, creative sushi at reasonable prices. Chef Andy Wang has a passion for preparing delicious and authentic dishes. Bring your own drinks and enjoy top quality sushi at this colourful little eatery.
3) Kyoto Garden Sushi – Cape Town Kyoti is an authentic Japanese Restaurant located in the heart of Cape Town. Not only were they awarded the Best Asian Restaurant at the Eat Out Awards in 2014, they also source and serve top-quality, unusual ingredients from all over the world. Farmed abalone, scallops, Alaskan King crab, sea urchins and eel are some of the interesting items you can find on their menu. Interesting variations and exquisite food tantalises taste buds while the intimate, tranquil Zen setting provides the perfect ambience.
4) Fugu Restaurant – Cape Town This up market yet relaxed spot serves outstanding, mouth watering sushi and a broad range of Thai, Japanese & Chinese Hot dishes. The generous sushi menu is very popular with the local sushi lovers whilst the more traditional seafood lovers are spoilt with diversity.
5) The Codfather – Camps Bay The Codfather has been delighting both locals and tourists for over 17 years with its gorgeous views of the ocean and its appetizing, creative sushi. There are endless options and all the sushi is SASSI-approved so you can have the peace of mind that the food you are served is sustainable to the oceans. The restaurant is trendy and buzzing but you can opt for a quiet, romantic meal in their exclusive wine cellar should you choose to.
6) Balducci Asian Noodle & Sushi Bar – V&A Waterfront This little gem is rumoured to be the best Sushi bar at the V&A Waterfront. Only the freshest ingredients are used by their professional Japanese and Asian chefs and the great views and fantastic service makes it a definite visit for next time your mouth is watering for sushi.
7) Willoughby & Co – V&A Waterfront You can expect nothing less than extraordinary seafood and sushi at this much loved spot. The substantial menu is packed with inventive dishes and the best technically constructed sushi that are served with pride.
8) Nobu Louge – V&A Waterfront This international chain of 30 restaurants across the globe features its newest outpost at the Cape Town Waterfront. Featuring a world-class chef, this visual and culinary delight spoils you with simple, creative sushi and sashimi menus. Patrons are also spoilt for choice with traditional drinks like a selection of Sakes including plum wines, Japanese beer and a Selection of Sake and Shochu based cocktails.
9) Just Sushi – Simon’s Town This charming sushi restaurant not only has, what many claim, to be the best sushi in the South, it is also overlooking Simon’s Town Harbour captivating both your taste buds and delighting you with picturesque views of the boats, birds and ocean. This establishment is simple, friendly and well priced.
10) Sushi Box – Cape Town The Sushi Box has various outlets in Cape Town including Newlands, De Waterkant and Kloof Street. They offer both eat in and take away sushi and are famous for their custom takeaway presentation making them a choice restaurant to pick up sushi for your next catering events.
11) 1890 House Sushi – Observatory This hidden gem in Observatory has great sushi, a great selection and great prices and is a must for all sushi fans. Sushi is served off a conveyor belt and they also have an extensive Chinese menu and some Thai options.
12) Panama Jacks – Cape Town Panama Jacks have been operating at Cape Town Harbour since 1989 and transformed from its humble beginnings serving the Royal Cape Yacht Club to a world renowned, top quality seafood restaurant. The chilled fisherman’s setting and Caribbean atmosphere makes it the perfect place to relax and enjoy the harbour. If that’s not enough, the sushi is to die for and will surely not disappoint even the most hardcore sushi lover.
13) Beluga – Green Point Beluga has grown into one of Cape Town’s most loved restaurants for sushi. The restaurant is located in a 100 year old building and is a truly memorable place to enjoy high quality and well presented sushi. Their half price sushi specials means that you can eat more and not worry about a huge bill.
14) Umi Restaurant – Camps Bay Situated at The Marly Boutique Hotel, this prime location on Camps Bay’s trendy beachfront has a killer vibe and a million dollar view. The extraordinary Japanese sushi and Asian-inspired atmosphere makes Umi a firm favourite with foodies.
15) Blowfish Restaurant – Tableview Renowned for its fine seafood and superb quality sushi, Blowfish Restaurant offers a magnificent setting and breathtaking scenery. Long-standing favourites are complemented by new additions keeping the menu innovative.